Wednesday

Making an Easy Lavender Aromatherapy Candle

Candles are easy to make, and combining lavender aromatherapy with subdued candlelight is a great recipe for relaxation. Whether you want to indulge in a candle for a lavender scented bath, romantic dinner for two, or as a mood enhancing tools to get the party started, being able to make lavender scented candles for pennies is a good trick to know.

First some cautions:

For safety, have a candy thermometer on hand. If wax gets too hot it can combust.

When working with wax, use a large pot into which you can place a smaller pot. This is commonly known as a double boiler, but there's no need to go for the expensive kitchen gadgets, you just want to be able to float one pot inside another. Many recipes will use a microwave instead of melting wax on the stove too. The recipe below uses a microwave, but having a double boiler on hand will give you additional options and allow you to work with other kinds of wax, like paraffin.

Keep the kids and animals out of the kitchen for this one, at least until you get the hang of it. Wax is HOT and it sticks, so you'd better do this in a controlled environment with fewer chances for accidents.

Have plenty of paper towels or newspapers on hand for cleanup.

When selecting containers, particularly for jar candles, choose a sturdy vessel. You can finesse a candle into a fragile glass or jar, but then you have to worry later that it will get too hot and shatter. Err on the side of caution and pick a glass container that is going to hold up if things get hot.

Making Lavender Scented Candles

To make my lavender candles, I use four cups of soy wax to which I add ten drops of aromatherapy quality lavender essential oil. I often refrain from using any dye. I melt the wax in the microwave then add the fragrance and stir. (Microwave temperatures vary, so read the instructions for the wax you're using for recommendations. Unless you know the wattage of your microwave, start with the lowest melting time and work up from there in thirty second increments.) I then pour the mixture into glass containers that I've tested beforehand with boiling water and preheated in a warm oven. I center wicks (the rigid variety with bases and zinc cores) in the containers and pour the wax into them carefully.

Once the candles have cooled completely, I heat a little reserved wax and pour it on top to fill in any depressions created by the cooling process. After the wax has hardened, I trim the wicks. I can usually get four to five candles per batch, but the size of your container will determine how many candles you'll be able to make.

If this is your first attempt at candle making, please read about the basics in my articles: Candle Making Basics and Candle Making Tips and Tricks. Making your own aromatherapy candles can be satisfying and economical. It can also be dangerous, so understand what you're doing before you begin.

2 comments:

Noelle said...

Hey. Thanks for the tips. But, I have a few questions.
1. Why do you need a double boiler and thermometer if you melt the wax in the microwave?
2. How long do you put the wax in the microwave to melt it?
3. How many candles does this amount of wax and oil make?

I am planning on making some lavender jar candles for gifts and have never tried, so I really appreciate any help!

Sara Elliott said...

Hi Noelle,

I've made some edits to the article to address your questions.

Fall is my favorite time to make lavender candles, and if I have dried lavender buds, I'll sometimes mix them into the wax when I stir it.

I hope you enjoy your project.

Cheers,

Sara